Friday, December 2, 2011

A Little TLC and a Bunch of Spray Paint

This is my "new" Hoosier Cabinet base that I picked up through my local Freecycle group this summer.  She's sitting  pretty in an upstairs bedroom now, but needed a little TLC to get here.  

This is how it looked when we hauled it home in July...


Inside there was no bottom, but there were plenty of spider webs.

A little scraping was in order.  After removing contact paper, at least four distinct layers of paint, and a bit of rust it was time for the spray painting to commence.

The original color of the cabinet was Ivory, so that's what I decided to go with for the cabinet, and I used white appliance spray paint on the porcelain top.  I re-used the original hardware, but because it was so marred up after removing the layers of paint, I painted that black. 

Hubby took pity on me and put a bottom in it so now I can actually use it to store things, and he even fashioned this cool shelf that pulls out :)  He did do a bit of joint repairing and tightening up too...because he's the best :) 
 
All in all I'm happy with how it turned out.  It only cost me a bit of elbow grease and the price of some stripper and spray paint.  Now I have to keep an eye out for a Hoosier Cabinet Hutch to go on top!

While I had the spray paint out I painted this little shelf that I had in a closet to match it.  I think it all looks good with this old mini quilt that I made years ago ~ I knew I was saving it for something :)

Enjoy the day!
~ Dawn

3 comments:

Kris said...

Dawn - You did a FABULOUS job on your hoosier bottom!! I love it!!! Kris

Jocelyn said...

You did an amazing job!! And I love your Blue Jeans kids :-)

Vicki ♥ said...

I love your Hoosier cupboard Dawn. It has turned out really fabulous and you did a lot of work on it.