Wednesday, November 14, 2012

New Quilt Cave Coming Together

Well, we recently did some re-evaluation of my sewing spaces, mainly because of the machinery that I've been adding lately ~ and we came to the conclusion that instead of using several small rooms upstairs, It'd be better to move all of my sewing apparatus to one space in the basement.

That led to displacing my son who had his "Man Cave" in the basement, but he's happy to take over my "North Wing" upstairs....Although my son had no idea how much stuff I had stashed away in those walk-in closets until after he agreed to help me move ~ Ha!  My son-in-law, who came by for a bit to help with the move thinks I have a "problem"  ;)

So this is my new "Quilt Cave" ~ I gave up some nice views out the windows upstairs, but I'm loving my new space down here.  Some of the furniture like the roll top desk on the right, and the big wooden file cabinet in the previous picture, were already down here, so instead of finding them a new home somewhere else, I just incorporated them in...after all, they're heavy and we were getting tired!

I only have the one closet down here which goes under the stairs (upper left side of this photo), so there's a lot of big not so attractive stuff like bags of batting, stuffing, extra totes, and bins of misc. stuff in there. 

 ...But I do have a TV which I did not have in my small room upstairs!  (And a powder room right around the corner).   And plenty of space for friends, or daughters (and eventually granddaughters), to come and sew with me :)

Some of the things on the walls are hung in odd places because there was already a nail there from my son's stuff, I'll probably tweek some of that later and patch some holes.  There were a couple of easy chairs down here already, so I kept this one here for reading/knitting. 

Backing up to the other side of the room, behind the desk, I was even able to bring down my yarn and knitting stuff ~ previously this was in baskets and containers dotted all over the house (In fact I keep finding more).  This divider creates a nice little nook for my HQ Sweet 16 to sit between the yarn bookcase, and the black wardrobe in the next picture. 

Fabric stash fills this end wall, and that black wardrobe that was already here in the basement ~ to move the wardrobe upstairs we would have had to take it apart because it was built down here, and my son decided he had closets upstairs so it wasn't worth moving ~ and good thing because it turns out I really needed it down here!  (Even I didn't know how much fabric I had until it was all pulled out in my living room.)

Those white plastic drawers were put there to mark the place waiting for my new HQ Avante that was on order ~ I'm hoping they'll fit right underneath it... 

...Because it came in yesterday!  (And I really don't have any other place to put the plastic drawer units.)
It may be a few days before I have finished pictures with the Avante in place because life is getting in my way ~ I have to work today, and I have a Baltimore Applique Society Board & General Meeting tonight...but on the bright side, my patience is getting a good testing! 

Enjoy the day!
~ Dawn

8 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Wow what a fabulous place to create!!

DownHome Designs said...

Dawn, what a wonderful place to create your beautiful quilts! I am so jealous! LOL My husband has mentioned putting me in the basement, but our basement isn't finished and I worry about moisture with my machines. I'll just keep my small space for now til an upstairs room is finished. Happy quilting!

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

Thanks for sharing! What a great space to create in!

Terry Aske Art Quilts said...

Dawn, it's looking great! It is so much more convenient to have everything in one place.

Kathleen said...

I think it is so much better to have all your stuff in one place - can sit in your easy chair and just look at it and think of all the things you could create...if you only could live to be 237 years old!

QuilterMary said...

Looks FAB-O !!! Can't wait to come over for a sewing day

Amy Verne said...

Wow! I am so impressed!

Laura said...

Looks really nice, Dawn! Is your new machine all set up now?