Saturday, August 20, 2011

Some New Freecycle Treasures

Meet my latest Freecycle score.  It's a Singer Stylist Zig Zag Model 457 with a very generous 7-1/2 inch throat space.  I picked this up from a nice lady who said she received it from her mother-in-law, but then never used it, so she was passing it along.  A little oil and some cleaning and it sews like a dream!  This will make a nice little machine that I can pass on to a friend as some point, but until then I can get some use out of it.  The feed dogs drop too, so I can use it to free motion quilt :)

Then, another Freecycler was offering this little toy Singer chain stitch machine.  I photographed it here with my rotary cutter so you can see the size.  It was complete with it's little manual, toolbox, and foot petal.  It works, but I found it kind of hard to sew on, so I think I'll be teaching Elsie to sew on a real sewing machine when she's ready.

...But in the meantime, it makes a cute little addition to the decorations on a shelf in my sewing room :)

I love treasure hunting and finding them a good home!  Now I have to add my new finds to my Sewing Machine collection documented on QuiltAlbum.  If you aren't familiar with Freecycle, and their philosophy of re-use to keep items from the landfills, check out their website to see if there's a Freecycle Group in your town.

Enjoy the day!
~ Dawn

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

Let me know what you think about the Singer Stylist Machine. I have that same model, but have not used it in years.

Lisa said...

I purchased a little Singer like that for nearly $100 from Sears for my daughter. We ended up buying an older Kenmore at an auction sale for $40 and that is what she sews on. The idea is cute, but ouch!!

Carol said...

How fun! I'm going to have to see if there's a group in our area.