Thursday, May 7, 2009

My Spring Vintage Quilt

Can a quilt from my childhood be called vintage? I suppose a quilt made in the early 1970s qualifies as vintage now. My mother made this quilt using all scrap fabric from clothes and other fabrics found in our household from the 1960s and early 70s. I love this quilt, but didn't know where in my house these colors would fit. But when I first put it on the bed in our spare bedroom which is my blue/white room, it just lit the room up! I think it screams Spring.

There are so many fabrics in this quilt that have memories for me. The center of this red flower is made from the first thing that I sewed ~ a blouse that I won a red ribbon on in the Howard County Fair! To the upper left in this picture there is a brown/orange floral that my mother had recovered some chairs in our house with. The plaid in the upper right corner was an outfit that my mom wore.

This daisy print was from a summer dress that my mother wore. (She made a lot of our clothes).

This cool mushroom print was from a matching short set that my mother made for me and my little brothers ~ how early 1970's is that?

It's hard to see it well, but here is a polaroid of us wearing the outfits. My mom had a matching sun dress as well, but she is probably taking the picture. We're standing in front of the Old Wye Oak that was located in Wye Mills on the Eastern Shore of MD in August 1970.

It's amazing the memories that a quilt made from old clothes can evoke. I cherish this quilt, odd colors and all! Don't be afraid to make at least one quilt using old clothes to pass down through the family :)

Enjoy the day!
~ Dawn

5 comments:

QuilterMary said...

This a.m.'s post is too cute! Does the quilt have a label? If not, that photo should be part of the label that you must do.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

So fun. You are so blessed to still have this quilt!

Val - Apple Cottage said...

Your quilt is so much like one I made in the 70s only mine had a green background. It was the first quilt I ever made. I don't have it any more as it was used until it fell apart, but the fabrics in yours is so like mine was. I've always wanted to make another grandmothers flower garden quilt. They are just so beautiful. You must feel very blessed to have it.

Dawn said...

I do feel blessed to have it, especially since it was hand pieced and hand quilted by my mom. I love the idea with the label! It currently doesn't have one.
Thanks for the comments!
~ Dawn

Anonymous said...

The pic of you in the clothes is great! Makes me want to find some old clothes to make a quilt. I have saved some silk dresses for "some day" but know that I need more before I begin a quilt.