Tuesday, May 5, 2009

A Little Bit at a Time

I've made a little progress on my Civil War Sampler that I'm hand piecing ~ a little being the operative phrase. Karen Witt of Reproduction Quilts came and taught at our shop last summer and we started making her Civil War Sampler quilt. I decided that, knowing I couldn't finish another project at the time, I would make this my hand piecing project and do a little bit at a time here and there. This is an extra "process" project. I plan to hand piece the entire quilt and then hand quilt it, taking my time and just enjoying the journey.

We have Civil War Sunday at our quilt shop on the first Sunday each month where people can come in an just share and work on anything from the Civil War era. I generally only work on this quilt on that Sunday (and depending on how busy we are in the shop that day, I might not get much done on it). This week I did finish the album blocks.

Next I'm making the 23 blue and gold pin wheel blocks that you see at the top of the quilt and some day my quilt will look like this.

Karen Witt was a wonderful teacher, not only teaching the quilting techniques but also including the history and telling the stories behind each block in her quilts. She is coming to teach at our shop again the first weekend in June (Thurs, Friday and Saturday), and if you can get to one or all of these classes it is well worth it! Check out our shop website for the information of each of the three class that she will be teaching here in June and sign up early to ensure your spot!

Enjoy the day!
~ Dawn

No comments: