Monday, August 23, 2010

Fear Not Little One

I finished my last Project Quilting piece on time for the challenge this week.  That doesn't sound like a great feat, but I had tons of deadlines to meet in this catch-up week and wasn't sure I'd get to even participate.  The inspiration for this week was Nursery Rhymes.  I made a small collage art quilt using a vintage storybook picture of Little Miss Muffet, and added wool, ribbons, lace, ric rac, buttons and other embellishments to dress it up.  All of it came from scraps and leftover pieces that I held on to from other projects, including the scrap of Printed Treasures fabric that I ran through the printer, so this little piece was quite a practice in re-use! 

I have lots of favorite Nursery Rhymes (My brothers and I always favored the stories and poems that rhymed when my mom read to us ~ so much so that Edition 10 of our antique Jr Editions set completely wore out from use).  I especially liked Nursery Rhymes that had something scary, so right away Little Miss Muffet came to mind.  This vintage storybook picture that I found on a free-to-use vintage clip art blog had the spider in the lower left hand corner, but no spider web, so I inked the web in myself.

The whole collage was set on a Spider Web Block background that measures 15" x 15".  I chose soft muted colors in vintage looking fabrics to coordinate with the feel of the antique storybook picture, and with a child's nursery decor in mind.  The piece was quilted with decorative stitching around the edges and on some of the trims, and the overall quilting was to add to the spider web feel.  I named it "Fear Not Little One" because I think that was the general theme of many of the Nursery Rhymes, and this one in particular.  

The voting poll is up now for the Nursery Rhyme challenge.  You can go to Kim's blog here to see the other entries and cast your vote ~ and leave a comment to be included in her giveaway!  This is the last "episode" of this season, and I've throughly enjoyed participating and being challenged to come up with a quilt idea and execute it in just one week.  There's going to be a little break, but Kim says there will be a season two, so be on the look out and think about participating, it's fun and that's what it's all about right :)

Enjoy the day!
~ Dawn

1 comment:

Vicki ♥ said...

I love your quilt and the theme you have is fabulous :) You are very clever and I will pop over to see Kims blog. How you have done the quilting to represent a spiders web is fabulous :)