Monday, August 2, 2010

The Princess and Her Castle

I've arrived at my daughter and son-in-law's house to stay with Elsie while Abby arrives ~ could be any day now :), and I brought Elsie's castle tent that I made for her bunk bed.  This is the same fabric I used to make the Growth Chart for Project Quilting last week.  (You wouldn't believe the amount of stuffed animails, little quilts and books that she can fit in there)

  
Turns out it fit the bed pretty well.  I was just kind of winging it because I had no bunk beds at home anymore to measure off of.  Elsie's bunk beds were actually Heather and Lisa's growing up ~ Cargo furnature was really a good choice for the kids rooms way back when.  We had separated the beds when the girls got their own rooms, and did away with the ladder and railing, so before Elsie can use the top bunk Grandpa will probably have to build something, unless we can find some somewhere.  

Anyway, the tent is made from the castle panel that you see in the center, and some coordinating yardage that I put on the sides, then I sewed one long purple strip across the top that gets tucked up under the top mattress.  The castle fabric is pretty old, but it was from a collection called Briar Rose designed by Nancy Smith & Lynda Milligan of Possibilities for Avlyn Fabrics. 

I added a window on one side so it wouldn't be too dark inside.  This could be done with tulle netting, but I found this dotted sheer curtain at Target and it made a perfect window to peak out of. 

So now I'm settling in for a week of play with my little princess while we are on baby-watch.  I should be working, but how can I resist this happy little kingdom? 

Enjoy the day!
~ Dawn

No comments: