Monday, November 15, 2010

Something Old is New Again

I like old things...Don't get me wrong, I like to buy nice new things too, but there's just something about an old piece of furniture that makes me feel good.  This piece was un-earthed from my father-in-law's garage after he had passed away a few years ago.  It's a record cabinet, and belonged to my husband's grandmother, who as he remembers, kept old 78 rpm records in it. 

It was in pretty bad shape covered with scratches and paint splatters, and almost went to the dump.  But I kept looking at it, and when no one else wanted it, I decided it would come home with me.  First I gave it a through cleaning to get rid of everything that was growing on it and living in it, and then I put it in my basement to maybe refinish one day.  Well the more I looked at it, I decided I kind of like the scratches that were from the everyday use of Grandma Stewart and her kids, and the little paint splatters that I'm sure are from my father-in-law working on and around it in his workshop ~ which he loved to do.


So the other day, after it sitting in my basement for the last five years, I had my son carry it up to my sewing wing.  I did a little re-arranging, and now it sits in a place of honor right next to my cutting table with a new use.

It's a great storage cabinet for all of my Accuquilt Go! Dies and mats!  I think I've pretty much decided to put off the refinishing, and for now I'll use it in my "workshop" doing what I love to do, and probably add some more little scratches and dings to pass along to my kids and grandkids :)

Enjoy the day!
~ Dawn

6 comments:

QuilterMary said...

Whast a lovely sentiment using this in your workshop and adding more character to it. Not to mention ... what a great way to store you Accuquilt stuff.

Pat said...

What a GREAT use for this!!! You should go to AccuQuilt's Facebook page and put a link there to this post. They'd love to see this!!!

Katrina said...

Great idea!! I guess I'll be looking for record cabinets when I yard sale next summer LOL!! Great eye.

Anonymous said...

Great use of something - and you will use your acu go (?) more.... good work

Thriftyideastoday said...

Love this idea!!! I will be hitting the yard sales too!!! ‎|^^^^^^^^^^^|
|The Santa Truck |”"”;..,___.
|……_______===| _|__|…, ] |
“(@)’(@)”""*l'(@)l'(@)**l'(@)

...Christmas is coming Merry Christmas!! - TO ALL THE LITTLE ONES YOU BETTER WATCH OUT, YOU BETTER NOT CRY SANTA CLAUSE IS COMING TO TOWN BE ON YOUR BEST BEHAVIER TOMORROW AND I KNOW HE WILL LEAVE WONDERFUL SURPRISES FOR YOU ...! Thriftyideastoday.com

Anonymous said...

I had noticed on a Craigslist ad not too long ago, how nice an old record cabinet is for dies (as well as office supplies and scrap-booking paper). Even though my husband built me a great die-cutting oak cart, it's so overloaded I can't move it...so I have been in search of an old record cabinet since. For those of you who may be looking, just remember that people will call them many things, so use lots of keywords in your search.
Yours is really nice looking! Thanks for the post.