Friday, November 6, 2009

Friday Finds ~ Paper Pieces

Someone on the Jo Morton Yahoo group posted about this little item the other day, and it made me think to show them. These are called Paper Pieces, I found them at a local quilt shop, but you can also find them on the Paper Pieces website and they have all kinds of shapes.

With the diamond shapes that I have, I'm making some 8 pointed stars using Jo charms and scraps. I'm probably going to applique mine onto a background fabric (mainly because I prefer applique to piecing). I'm thinking a brown background maybe...

These are thin card stock templates that you use the English Paper Piecing method with (this method is most often thought of using hexagon shapes). Pin the shape on your fabric, cut the fabric roughly a quarter inch larger than the paper template, and baste the seam allowance around to the back (I work from the front) using a large basting stitch.

Then with right sides together, whip stitch the pieces together. I used a neutral thread and small whip stitches, making sure to pick up just fabric and not sew into the paper templates. The templates can be used several times if you're careful with them and don't chew up the edges.

Additionally, if you are a person who loves to play with color and graph paper there is a link on the Paper Pieces website for Free Down-loadable Design Sheets in many of the shapes that they make (just click on Downloads at the top of the main page). That right there is worth the cost of admission :) Too much fun!

Enjoy the day!
~ Dawn

3 comments:

SewCalGal said...

I too love English Paper Piecing. And I love the paper pieces from http://www.paperpieces.com/ too!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Karen said...

This looks like fun! I love how diamonds look. But they can be tricky!

Anonymous said...

If you become addicted to EPP as I am, you may enjoy "Quilt Campus EPP Workshop" where we do EPP projects all year around. 8o)

http://program.quiltcampus.net/004QC/

cindy aka MsDesigns