Sunday, June 27, 2010

Logs

I finished my Project Quilting Challenge quilt last night, and got it entered this morning just under the wire. The theme for the challenge this week was was Log Cabins. The quilt had to be a maximum of 36" square (that's what mine measures), and I could use as many fabrics as I wanted, but one of them had to be used both front and back.

I actually like to do that occasionally with my fabrics, especially if a solid color is needed. Some fabrics are just a softer, lighter version of the front on the back side, and because of the way the fabric is printed, some are a solid color on the back ~ so check the back sides of your fabrics out, I've heard the quote that you've paid for both sides, you might as well use both sides. After all, that makes your stash twice as large as you thought!

I used this fabric both front and back to add to the half square triangles in my tree block ~ I wanted a tree block in the center because that's where logs come from :)

Log cabin blocks look great with a scrappy look, so the more variations of fabrics the better (I used all Jo Morton fabrics in this quilt). I surrounded the center tree with 6" log cabin blocks, and just turned them in different directions until I found a pattern that was pleasing to me.

For the corner setting triangles, I kept with the log cabin theme and made two large 18" square log cabin blocks and cut them in half on the diagonal.

I like a traditional log cabin quilt, so I kept this one very traditional looking with the fabrics, and I quilted it in the ditch.

Logs...traditional with just a couple of twists :)

The voting is up now ~ You can see all of the really creative Project Quilting entries and vote for your favorite here at Kim's Crafty Apple Blog ~ and leave a comment to be entered into a give-away!

Enjoy the day!
~ Dawn

14 comments:

QuilterMary said...

I LOVE the log cabin quilt. GREAT setting!!!

Amy R said...

Dawn, your project is just beautiful! Congrats on such a successful finish~

Anonymous said...

I think this quilt is very special.... enjoyed the thought behind some of your decisons. Thank you for sharing

Shelley said...

Great color combination, it really is nice

Rita said...

Great quilt, Dawn. Of course, gotta love those Jo's fabrics.

Pamela said...

Wonderful quilt, love the traditional look of it!

FabricFascination said...

Beautiful! The log cabin is one of my very favorite blocks.

PersimonDreams said...

This is fantastic! I love that you stuck with the traditional look of the log cabin but added that fantastic tree to the middle. Well done!

DownHome Designs said...

Beautiful! I really like that you also used the log cabin construction for the corner setting triangles.

Pat said...

Your quilt is SUPER!!! I'm glad I"m not the only one who sometimes uses the reverse side of the fabric...on PURPOSE and not by accident, either!!!

Miriam said...

I really love your quilt. The tree in the centre is just perfect!

Mayleen said...

Log Cabins are one of my favorites and you've done a great job on yours! I, too, occasionally use the back side of my Jo fabrics. You're right, twice the stash!

primitivenans said...

I just love your Log Cabin quilt! I have always wanted to make one and you have certainly given me the inspiration to do just that! What a great setting and love the center tree.

Anonymous said...

Your quilt is beautiful! I love the tree in the center! Thank you for sharing your thoughts as well as the completed quilt with us.
Marilyn in NJ