Monday, April 4, 2011

Hubby Saves the Day Again

This is where I do most of my sewing ~ my little sewing nook in the corner of my humble sewing room.  I like it here below the slanted roof line between the front dormer and the side window.  I can look out from my upper floor perch onto different views of my little corner of the world while I sew.  My sewing table was a great thrift store find that I've had for a while, and besides the fact that it's a little bouncy when I really put the pedal to the metal, it fits the area quite nicely, and I like the size.  But I've been feeling a bit frustrated lately, as I do most of my quilting on this machine and a heavy quilt gets caught up on the attached table surface that's elevated on this machine.  I've even shopped for very nice, and expensive sewing cabinets that I could sit my machine down in to make it flush with the surface for quilting, but none of them were quite right for my little nook...and like I said, I like my little sewing table. 
 
So when I went to the Lancaster Quilt Show, I ordered one of these from a Bernina dealer there to fit my model of sewing machine.  They shipped it right to me (very nice service I might add), and I turned it, and my little table, over to the capable hands of my Super Hero (aka My Hubby)...seriously, he is always saving my day!

After a few days of measuring, cutting, routing, sanding, laminating layers of wood together, and varnishing this is what he has returned to me!


Not only does my machine sit down in there perfectly, but he braced everything up so there's no more bouncy bouncy when I really get carried away with the sewing.  So tomorrow I guess I'd better go bake dessert for him or something :)

Enjoy the day!
~ Dawn

11 comments:

Nancy said...

very nice!!

Katie M. said...

Oh.... Very Nice!! I have to admit that I also have a hubby that is always ready to spoil me when I see something that I think he can build.
Ours are the Keeper kind!

Anonymous said...

What a great hubby, you are one lucky lady!
Do you ever loan him out? I think he needs a great dessert and maybe a quilt for that.
Enjoy your new table. I know you will make even more quilts than before, a new great surface always helps.

Mary on Lake Pulaski said...

It looks perfect Dawn! You are going to be whipping things up so much faster now!

Kathy MacKie said...

What a super job-I need a husband like that alas mine was a welder not a carpenter! Enjoy and full speed ahead.

Carol said...

It's fantastic Dawn! Sew like the wind!

Karen said...

Your husband did a fantastic job!!!! I know you must be very happy with your new/old sewing table and proud of your husband to!!! Happy sewing!! :0)

Rebecca P said...

Your hubby did a great job, it looks great. There is noting like sewing & quilting with your machine flush.

Rita said...

It is so nice to have your machine flush with the table. It makes such a huge difference. Your husband did a great job.

FabricFascination said...

That's beautiful! Your space looks comfy and cozy with nice lighting.

Dawn said...

Haha Carol, I like that ~ "Sew Like the Wind"...That'll have to be my new motto!

I'm loving working flush with the table, and Bob did get a nice dessert out of it.
Thanks for all of your nice comments, he got a kick out of them :)