Monday, October 24, 2011

Jumping on the Hexi Bandwagon

I've been working on little hexis in my down time.  I'm sewing along with the Jo Morton Stitchers Yahoo Group as they are having a year long hexi challenge.  These of course will be all done in Jo fabrics, so it will be a warm rich quilt.  I'm not sure yet how I'm going to set them, but I did decide on making the flowers.  My next one (yes, they're kind of addicting and I'm already thinking of a next quilt), will be done in lighter fabrics ~ possibly some 30s prints, or even modern.

I already own a Hexi quilt that my mother made years ago that I blogged about in This Post.  As you can see it's a lot brighter, made all from scraps and that wow pink ~ I'm thinking after the current cozier one I'm making, I'll need to make one with pops of bright yellow :)

My hexis are large by the standards of some of the other gals in the group.  My papers measure 1" on the sides.  Some of the gals are making 1/2" hexagons!  I might tackle that on my next project, but with this one, I'm using my AccuQuilt Go! cutter to cut the papers and the fabric.  I use the smallest hexagon on the Hexagon Die (which is 1" on the sides and 2" point to point) to cut the papers (I'm using a thin cardstock that I had on hand), and then I cut my fabrics from the medium hexagon shape on the die (which is 3" point to point, and 1-1/2" on the sides).  This makes the cutting quick and easy, and I don't have to purchase the papers :)  I cut a whole bunch at one time, I've even listed some hexagons in Jo fabrics in my Etsy Shop in two sizes ~ the medium and small hexis (I'm not cutting papers to sell at this time though, they can be obtained in large packs in many sizes from Paper Pieces). 

This is the back side of one of my flowers.  There is a good amount of seam allowance by cutting these sizes and that makes for low stress in basting my shape edges.  I'm going for low stress here ~ I'm taking some of these, along with an applique block in progress on my trip to Quilt Market.  This is going to be a crazy busy week for me, so you might not see me online until I get back. 

Enjoy the day!
~ Dawn 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your hexagons look wonderful Dawn! Love the fabrics;-) hugs, Elaine

Superior Threads said...

Your hexies look great. I like the warm colors.

Ricci

Kathleen said...

OMG - I do hexies often. They are my "go-to" traveling quilt fix but mine never EVER look that good on the back!

Rita said...

Dawn, I love your hexagons. I think I'm going to sign up too. They are just too cute. Are you going to keep your centers light? They look great.

FaeryMom said...

Pretty quilt! My aunt is working on a hexi quilt, too.

I wanted to let you know that I got the package you sent, and they're beautiful! I also mentioned you in my most recent blog post. :) Have a great day!