I'm finally getting back to picking up some hand work and doing some of my Baltimore Applique. I decided that this poor block needed to be finished.
Remember back earlier this Spring when this little mishap occurred? If you missed it, you can read about it in this post. I figured I'd do an inking of our house and applique it in the center to repair the mistake, but after multiple attempts at sketching the house, it still looked like some kind of wonky cartoon house. It would have worked well for a folk art applique, but not the look I was going for with the inking.
So I used a photo of our house and went on over to picnik.com. If you've never been there, check this site out. It's a fun and free photo editing software (you can upgrade to a paid premium service, but can do many things on it for free). I turned the picture into a black and white sketch, and printed it out on EQ Printables paper backed fabric.
Then I reverse appliqued it into the center of the block. It's not perfect, I'm new at all this tech photo stuff, and I realize I should have softened the edges, but for the most part I'm happy with the result. I know, I know, using modern technology to finish a 19th century reproduction won't set well with everyone, but...I'm looking at a finished block :)
Enjoy the day!