Friday, January 30, 2009

Dear Janes & Civil War Sundays

On the first Sunday of each month we have a group that meets at the shop for "Civil War Sunday" where we work on anything Civil War or Reproduction themed. I've been working some on my Civil War Sampler that I started at the class that Karen Witt of Reproduction Quilts taught last summer ~ I'm piecing it all by hand, so it'll be a while before it's actually a quilt! Some of us are also doing Dear Jane blocks. Here are the blocks I have done so far:
These are patterned after an 1863 quilt by a lady named Jane A. Stickle and can be found in the book Dear Jane by Brenda Papadakis. They finish 4 1/2". The original quilt has 169 of these little guys in the body of it, 52 triangle blocks that make up the pieced borders, and 4 pieced corner blocks (that's 225 pieced blocks) ~ It's quite stunning! We'll see how many I make, it's a modest start, but right now I'm just enjoying the process. They are fun to do, and you can finish one in a short period of time (at least most of them).
To help with the process in making these blocks, I found this great blog called That Quilt, all about Baby Janes and has great step by step directions of block construction. I'll keep the button here on my blog for future linkage. Check it out!
RoseMary Swartwood who attends our Jo Morton group shared with us her Dear Jane quilt so far. It is beautiful! As you can see, she is doing it in all blue and white fabrics, and each block is a different blue/white print, not one repeats. She is quilting each little block as she makes them, so she is able to put rows together and they are complete! I've been watching it grow and it's just amazing!
Come to And Sew It Goes if you can for Civil War Sunday group, it's informal, drop in and free! Just a time to stitch and share with like minded quilters. Definately bring show & tell! First Sunday of each month from 1:00 - 3:00. If you can't come, send me pictures of your Dear Jane blocks or other Civil War projects!
Enjoy the day!
~ Dawn

No comments: