Friday, April 24, 2009

Elsie Has a Big Girl Bed!

...At least she has one in her bedroom across from her crib. Lisa (also known as Elsie's mom) took these pictures and sent them to me to show me the quilt that I had made her unfolded and on the bed.

Back when Lisa was pregnant, and her husband Cory (a US Marine) was deploying one week before she was due to deliver, I being the dutiful mom that I am, decided that I would go down to North Carolina and stay with Lisa to take her to the hospital when she was in labor, and sit in for Cory.

Anticipating that I was going to be a grandmother for the first time, I had already of course made a quilt for the baby. I had picked up (1) jelly roll and 1 5/8 yards of fabric for some setting triangles around the edges and thought I was making a crib quilt ~ but it turned out to be huge. So I took the top with me to NC and in the couple of weeks we had while waiting for the baby to decide to be born, we hit some quilt shops and picked out some border material to add and voila, it was a simple split rail style bed quilt.

We also picked up a couple of charm packs and made a crib quilt to coordinate with the twin size one :)
Charm packs and jelly rolls are wonderful for whipping up quick quilts that look great because they are so well coordinated. And because they are generally quick to make, they are the kind of quilts that can be well used, well loved, and well washed. Every child needs that “sicky quilt” (the one that’s ok to cuddle them in even when they might throw up on it ~ after all that’s when they most need a quilt right?). I’ll make Elsie an “heirloom” quilt later on, but I have a feeling this one will be just as loved, maybe even more.

After all, this one is great for jumping on the bed and waving to Grandma in the camera :)

Enjoy the day!
~ Dawn

No comments: