Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Reuse & Recycle

As part of my continuing organizing quest this year, I have decided to repurpose some things. Here is our daughters' Barbie dollhouse that my husband built now being used as a bookcase. My girls haven't used it for a while, so I have been housing stuffed animals and some favorite children's books in it, but now I've filled the main floor and one bedroom with quilt books and patterns. The dollhouse is located in the window seat sitting area in the hallway outside of my sewing room, so it's a great place to put the books. Before I had all of the quilting books in my sewing room closet, but now they are much easier to get to and see what I have, and the room cubicals make it easy to separate by category like Applique books, Miniatures books...I should be able to use the dollhouse as my bookcase for a few years until my granddaughter Elsie gets a little bigger and Barbies move back in. :)

And for some show and tell, here is my block three finished from my Mimi Dietrich class. I'm starting block four now (we had class yesterday), but last night I prepared three backgrounds to make three different blocks with this next technique. I don't know if I'll get them all done this month, but I got sparked when a lady from Mimi's prior class brought her finished Baltimore Applique top in to show us. It was gorgeous, and now I'm planning out my actual quilt and not just thinking blocks! I'll show you my progress later this month.

Enjoy the day!
~ Dawn

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having the quilt books out where you can see them is great. Helps to remember you already have the Kentucky book which prevents having two of the Kentucky book when you finally "organize" things. Glad to hear Barbie will one day move in but until then books are great.