Monday, March 23, 2009

Carving Out Time to Stitch

How do you carve out time to stitch in your busy day? I like to carry handwork along with me when I have to be out and about. This little blue stitchery is the one I currently have in my car. I used to do a lot of waiting at dance classes, and football practices and would do a lot of stitching there. Now it is more likely to be doctor's offices or using up time when I arrive early for an appointment after running errands. I like to keep some kind of work, and a book in my car at all times. Although when the weather turns hot, I won't keep anything with blue marker in my car as the heat will permanently set the markings.

This is my little handwork case (aka a pencil box from Walmart's back to school section). I have had it for several years and it's perfect for throwing in my bag when I'm heading out the door. It houses my applique threads rolled onto bobbins for portability, needle threader, marking pens/pencils, needles, scissors...

I keep it stocked with supplies that just stay in this case, and I usually have at least one Dear Jane block in progress in here, and some applique.

The key is preparing the pieces ahead of time to have something in the wings ready to work on when the moment presents itself. These little pieces are usually my "extra" projects that I'm doing just for fun, so there is no deadline to get it done. It's more about the process than the project.

Today, I am running down to Virginia to spend the day with Lisa and Elsie. I will have a full day shopping at Ikea with them and going out to lunch, but my little handwork case will get thrown in the car as Northern VA is notorious for traffic jams that don't budge. You just never know, I may get some stitching time today after all ~ at least I'll be ready!

Enjoy the day!
~ Dawn

No comments: