Wednesday, March 25, 2009

It's a Selvage Thing

I love to peruse other blogs and favorite sites and have many bookmarked. Last night I stopped by the Moda Bakeshop and saw this cute selvage pillow (you can find it further down the page posted on March 5th, but enjoy all of the posts along the way!). There is a complete tutorial there on how to make it. That's the great thing about the Moda Bakeshop site ~ wonderful directions on how to make a variety of things using Moda products, of course. I also followed the link to the Selvage Blog where Karen Griska has so many creative ways to use those selvages that we usually throw away. She has a book called Quilts from the Selvage Edge that is definitely worth looking into.

The reason I was captivated by this idea is that I had done a project years ago where I threw in the "selvage dots" because I thought they were cute. At the time I thought that I was being kind of wierd, but apparently now it's the "In" thing, and I'm sparked to add some selvage strips from my magazine quilt fabrics to my Calendar Quilt! I've never done an all selvage project like this one, but I love the look ~ so now I'm going to have to start a new scrap basket in the sewing room to collect selvages! Also, this is a great way to use some of the last of older Jo Morton Fabrics ~ hmm, the ideas are flowing...

Enjoy the day!
~ Dawn

1 comment:

Gail in Arizona said...

I have a HUGE selvage collection - thanks in part to many of my friend. I make so many things from them - pincushions, quilt blocks, shopping bags, etc. Never thought of a pillow before - will have to try that now!