Thursday, March 5, 2009

Progress on my Baltimore Applique

Last night I finished my next Baltimore Applique block. Well, I think I'm calling it finished ~ there is supposed to be a ring of smaller heart shapes around the center, but I kind of like the way it looks right now, so I may leave them out. This way I might get to a second block this month, who knows I can dream right? Mimi Dietrich taught us the "Back Basting" method at last month's class and I used it for the whole block. I do like it the more I get used to doing it.

With the Back Basting method, you mark the reverse side of your background fabric, then with your applique fabric and background fabric layered together, you run a basting stitch right on the lines. By using a thick handquilting thread and a thick needle, your basting stitches leave holes that become like a perferated line where the applique fabric seam gets turned under. Aside from no marks on the front of the block, the main advantage of this method, is that pieces are very accurately placed. A nice tutorial on Back Basting can be found at All About Applique.

Before doing another Baltimore Applique block this month I want to finish my Bunny Hill Tisket a Tasket block for February. The March block is available for download today (So cute ~ there is a bunny this month!), so I need to work on February this morning. I guess that makes me officially behind!

Enjoy the day!
~ Dawn

No comments: